Opportunities at RISC
We always look for talent! Whether you are a theory-inclined mind looking for the rapture of discovery or a pragmatic practitioner, there might be something for you at RISC. Hence, stay tuned and check frequently.
Explore and apply for opportunities with RISC and our partners
The RISC and Insurance Studies Centre is seeking applicants for Two Postdoctoral Research Fellowship positions funded by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Alliance-Mitacs Accelerate grant entitled “New Order of Risk Management: Theory and applications in the era of systemic risk” or succinctly NORM. Both positions involve research that focuses on, but is not limited to, the theory, management, financing, governance, and regulation of systemic risks.
The NORM research program seeks to lead a paradigm shift in the thinking, best practices, and regulation around systemic risk, a notion that is endemic to recent socioeconomic, demographic, technological, and environmental changes. NORM entails the development of novel theories, operational tools, and regulatory mechanisms that address the ever-increasing systemic nature of risks nowadays and account for unequal susceptibility to systemic risk, pursue equity, and build resilience. The successful candidates will work with one or more of the NORM program research team members:
- Jingyi Cao (Actuarial Science, York University)
- Ida Ferrara (Economics, York University)
- Edward Furman (Actuarial Science, York University)
- Harry Joe (Statistics, University of British Columbia)
- Sheldon Lin (Actuarial Science, University of Toronto)
- Dirk Matten (Business, York University)
- Silvana Pesenti (Quantitative Risk Management, University of Toronto)
- Shayna Rosenbaum (Psychology, York University)
- Fan Yang (Actuarial Science, University of Waterloo)
- Ricardas Zitikis (Statistics, Western University)
- Completed PhD in Actuarial Science, Behavioral Science, Business, Data Science, Economics, Finance, Quantitative Risk Management, Statistics; other backgrounds will be considered.
- Interest in topics related to systemic risks.
- Readiness to collaborate across disciplines.
Salary and Term
- Salary: $57,000 annually, including benefits (can be higher depending on qualifications)
- Term: one year, but renewable for an additional year
- Preferred Start Date: September 1st, 2023 (flexible)
- Dissemination opportunities in publication venues.
- Possibility to work on own independent side-projects and ideas.
- Possibility to supervise graduate and undergraduate students.
- (Optional) Possibility to teach for additional compensation.
- Opportunity to establish connections within industry and academia in Canada and globally.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit the following to email@example.com:
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover Letter (two-page max) describing:
- the candidate’s research to date;
- why the candidate is a good for the position;
- the candidate’s long-term research plans as they relate to the objectives and scope of NORM.
- The names and contact information of three referees familiar with the candidate’s research ability.
- A representative paper.
We will start reviewing applications on June 1st, 2023, and we will continue accepting and reviewing applications until both positions are filled. Only considered applicants will be contacted.
We encourage applications from candidates who have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including applicants who self-identify as women, members of racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and 2SLGBTQ+.
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
August 18, 2023
September 1, 2023
One year, renewable for up to two years
$57,000 per year (CDN), including benefits (can be higher depending on qualifications)
We seek strong Ph.D. students that work on the interplay of Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Statistics and Actuarial Science, who preferably have experience with dependence modelling and are close to graduation to join a project on “Risk Financing” co-funded by the Fields Institute for Mathematical Sciences, York University, and RISC. This is an exceptional opportunity for suitable candidates as: (1) you will become a part of a a highly dynamic research community, nourished by the Fields Institute in Mathematical Sciences; (2) you will be collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of researchers; and (3) you will be in the heart of Canada’s Financial Industry with numerous opportunities to gain practical knowledge/experience by testing your research with one of many RISC industry partners.
September 30, 2022
September 1, 2022
Sun Life Financial (SLF) is offering an internship opportunity to join Digital Innovation Team within Risk Management as a Data Analyst / Scientist. The role will require you to work on interfacing with SQL tables and other relational sources for the purposes of advanced analytics (including predictive modelling) and creating custom visuals and dashboards in PowerBI and/ Tableau. The datasets will primarily be supplied by the Underwriting and Claims Groups for the purposes of the immediate items in scope. You must possess strong technical knowledge in SQL, Python, Tableau, PowerBI as well as strong time management and communication skills. The data discovery component of this job will involve components of mining and modelling where a self-starter attitude would be greatly beneficial in absence of strictly defined requirements.
(1) Assist Director in developing requirements for data products by working closely with the Stakeholders on identifying their unmet data needs
(2) Create functioning MVPs using available data cleansed through a variety of modelling techniques depending on each individual case
(3) Work on the Data Management program deployment by helping catalog and categorize data.
(4) Perform Data Quality Assessments and Profiling with potential remediation activities to mitigate issues
(5) Develop Advanced Analytics models prototypes for claims and underwriting
(6) Assist in development deployment of Advanced Analytics tools as required
(7) Act as a Data Enablement expert to help educate and migrate Stakeholders to modern data practices and capabilities
(8) Being flexible to assist with ongoing research/projects in the team
(1) Enrolled in a master’s degree or higher in a quantitative field such as mathematics, statistics, mathematical finance and etc.
(2) Strong knowledge in a quantitative discipline
(3) Knowledge in predictive models like Regression, decision trees, Random Forests, SVMs and Neural Networks, etc.
(4) Ability to prototype models and methodologies on a computer system platform; hands on experience in R, Python
(5) Ability to work under tight deadlines and with multiple priorities
(6) Hands on experience with Data Visualisation tools such as Tableau and PowerBI
(7) Ability to work independently and in cross-functional team settings
(8) Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
(9) Excellent verbal and written skills
(10) Basic understanding of the insurance industry and products, and associated underwriting and claims management
July 31, 2022
September 1, 2021
Sun Life Financial (SLF) is looking for an intermediate or senior quantitative analyst to join our Corporate Risk Office. The position reports to a Director, Model Validation & Analytics. The role will require you to review and validate various models used by SLF. You must be technically strong, a quick learner, and be able to apply your financial (actuarial) knowledge and modeling skills effectively and creatively. Strong time management and communication skills are essential due to tight regulatory and internal business requirements and model production process.
• Conduct technical reviews and validations of models used by SLF
• Communicate the model review results to senior stakeholders and model owners
• Interact with model owners and model developers on discussing and resolving model issues
• Develop alternative or benchmark models as necessary for independent assessment of model risk
• Support corporate risk governance on managing, mitigating and controlling model risk
• Assist with ongoing research on stochastic modeling and risk analytics
• Assist with research on economic capital modeling for insurance products
• Strong knowledge in a quantitative discipline
• A master’s degree or higher in a quantitative field such as mathematics, statistics, mathematical finance and etc.
• Combined financial and insurance risk experience is a definite asset
• Hands on experience in stochastic modeling and statistical analysis.
• Advanced knowledge on programming in Matlab, VBA, or C/C++
• Ability to prototype models and methodologies on a computer system platform
• Ability to work under tight deadlines and with multiple priorities
• Critical thinking
• Ability to explain complex actuarial and financial modeling techniques in a simple and concise way
• Ability to work independently and in cross-functional team settings
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
• Excellent verbal and written skills
July 31, 2022
September 1, 2021
The Enterprise Risk Strategy, Advisory and Technology team supports the delivery of the Risk and Compliance Function target operating model and continuous advancement of practices. The team builds resilience and agility for ensuring the Corporation’s risk practices remain fit for purpose in an environment of prolonged challenge and change and provides centralized support for bringing coordinated focus and attention to strategic work.
Reporting to the Director, Enterprise Risk Strategy and Advisory, the Internal Consultant Intern (Intern) will be assigned to high priority initiatives across the Risk and Compliance Function, contributing recommendations and options based on complex analyses and insights. The Intern will be part of an agile, purpose-driven internal consultancy practice that facilitates rapid development and delivery of global risk framework enhancements that support business strategy, Lifeco and Regional CRO and Risk Head strategies, Lifeco CCO/Compliance Head strategies, and augment existing capabilities, where needed (e.g., support framework development and related documents, tools and templates; develop risk and compliance training content).
Consulting engagement opportunities for the intern role will be prioritized based on business needs. Possible opportunities could involve research, policy and procedure writing, review of models, preparing presentations and may include the following:
• Assist to develop and maintain long-term target maturity models, process and organization optimization, and methodologies to advance risk and compliance practices
• Contribute to and support development of multi-dimensional complex analysis, benchmarking, quantitative and qualitative assessments to assess risk and compliance practices
• Develop and execute assessments that diagnose effectiveness of risk and compliance practices and identify opportunities to leverage automation and digitization to work faster, smarter, and more efficiently
• Develop solutions to strengthen internal capabilities across the Function for training effectiveness and efficiency, project management, change management and communications
• Develop and execute training for the Function (Risk and Compliance Function staff training, 1st line of defence training on risk programs)
• Develop and execute performance measurement programs that enable the Function to monitor, manage and evaluate operational performance
• Working towards a graduate degree (preference for completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a business or quantitatively oriented major e.g. Finance, Economics, Accounting)
• Strong achievements in academic studies
• Demonstrated collaboration and communication skills
• Ability to communicate virtually with diverse groups of people with differing viewpoints, using a consultative approach
• Demonstrates professionalism, discretion, and good judgment in interactions
• Team player who is also comfortable working independently
• Self-motivated, self-managing, organized and able to prioritize work to meet deadlines
• Strong attention to detail
• Aptitude for strategic, analytical, and critical thinking
• Quantitative and analytical skills, including financial and business analysis, and research
• Understanding of the financial services industry, emerging themes, risks, and regulatory expectations
• Awareness of qualitative and quantitative risk management techniques
• Understanding of project management techniques such as process management/lean management to inform a structured, disciplined approach
July 31, 2022
September 1, 2022
We are looking for a number of Computer Science or Information Technology or, more generally, Engineering senior undergraduate students, with formal coursework on databases and data structures as well as with some experience of developing and testing MySQ, MS SQL or Oracle databases.
(1) Downloading and cleaning data on annuity prices for the last two decades. Data to be provided by CANNEX.
(2) Setting up a sever and the database to store data in (1).
(3) Write code to make sure the data is automatically updated on a daily basis.
(4) Write code for typical data-base-requests to allow simple data retrieval for researchers.
(5) Write code for typical data visualization.
(6) Test and weed out bugs.
(1) Course-work based experience in database design, set-up, administration, etc.
(3) Hands on experience along the lines in (1) with My SQL, MS SQL or Oracle.
(3) Knowledge of databases backup procedures, recovery systems, stored procedures, etc.
(4) Proficiency in MS Excel.
(5) Knowledge of programming languages and API.
(6) Ability to visualize algorithmic structures.
(7) Excelent communication and problem solving skills.
(8) Excelent team-work skills.
August 27, 2022
September 5, 2022
This full-time role is based in York University’s Keele Campus and requires attendance in-person 5 days a week.
RISC, chartered by York University Senate in 2018, has evolved into a global interdisciplinary Think-Tank in the field of Risk Management and Insurance, a leader in knowledge creation and mobilization, a builder of/magnet to new talent to become the risk leaders of tomorrow, and a credible partner to for- and non-for- profit organizations, NGOs, IGOs, and regulatory authorities. During the five years since inception, RISC Members (~ 50 professors across York University, University of Toronto, Waterloo, Western, and University of British Columbia, as well as from a number of other universities outside Canada) have secured > $11 M in Research Funding, > $1 M in Curriculum and Experiential Education funding, and established enduring and active partnerships with, e.g., Aviva Canada, Canada Life, CANNEX Financial Exchanges, Milliman, Sun Life Financial, Wawanesa – in the for-profit space; e.g., PACICC, RIMS, Spencer Educational Foundation, and the International Labour Organization in the United Nations – in the non-for-profit space.
The Operations Officer will be reporting directly to the Director of RISC and will lead all operational aspects of the “New Order of Risk Management” or succinctly “NORM” program of the Centre towards optimal fulfilment of Centre’s strategic agenda. We are looking for an experienced , charismatic, energetic quick-learner willing/able to work with a diverse body of stakeholders from around the globe with the goal of making a lasting change towards a safer and more sustainable future for everyone in Canada and beyond.
(Research) Project Management, including support in securing (research) funds
- Oversees all aspects of (research) program/project management, building and maintaining a cohesive and motivated team that works in an environment that is flexible, adaptable and open to continuous change;
- Identifies and oversees program/project plans and schedules timelines, milestones, and deliverables and troubleshoots problem areas;
- Works with RISC Coordinator and with respective York departments to ensure that all work and use of the budget is carried out in accordance with York University policies and the guidelines of the (granting) agencies of relevance;
- Acts as the liaison with various stakeholders to build and maintain a positive working relationship;
- Initiates, develops, and maintains effective consultative and collaborative relationships with key offices, academic programs and services within York University and beyond;
- Acts as contact for strategic NORM activities externally: interacts with government personnel, think-tanks, non-governmental organizations, advocacy groups, public sector organizations, international agencies, and other potential contributors;
- Liaises closely with RISC partners to strengthen capacities for developing and carrying out projects and facilitates, alongside RISC Coordinator, the needs of financial reporting;
- In co-operation with the Director and Deputy Director of RISC, manages fundraising. Monitors calls for proposals and other funding opportunities. Identifies RISC Members for possible collaboration on topics of strategic interest for RISC and facilitates these collaborations;
- In co-operation with the Director and Deputy Director of RISC, manages preparation and submission of new grant proposals;
- Develops, implements, and tracks indicators of program/project success.
- Provides support to the research application and administration process as requested by the Director and Deputy Director of RISC;
- In conjunction with the Director and Deputy Director of RISC, implements schedules for Center’s NORM activities;
- Organizes and maintains research information, including confidential materials and data;
- Arranges and attends NORM related meetings, takes minutes, and ensures the preparation and distribution of meeting notes and supporting documents;
- Alongside RISC Director, Deputy Director, and Coordinator, organizes NORM and NORM-related events including conferences, workshops, and colloquia, leads the preparation of event materials;
- Responsible for being knowledgeable about relevant collective agreements, York University human resource policies and practices and employment related legislation and managing project staff effectively and in compliance of same;
- Responsible for other managerial duties as assigned by RISC Director.
Budget and Resource Management
- In co-ordination with the Director, Deputy Director, and Coordinator of RISC, plans operational and special project budgets to ensure that expenditures are managed within overall available budget;
- Advised by RISC Director, guides RISC Coordinator as to the preparation of the interim and final financial reports on the research centers affiliated with RISC’s NORM program;
- Actively seeks and realizes opportunities for new – both external and internal – revenue streams and maintains existing revenue streams of NORM related research;
Advancement, Communications, and Knowledge Mobilization
- Liaises with RISC’s NORM partners – both external and internal – in order to promote RISC’s agenda, achieve RISC’s strategic goals, help advance RISC’s special projects by attracting in-cash and in-kind support;
- Oversees/helps prepare material for public dissemination in accessible and lay language forms;
- Facilitates knowledge transfer to stakeholders, users, peers and project teams through training, guidance, information, documentation and sharing of best practices and lessons learned;
- Prepares documents (e.g., drafting reports, recommendations, research papers, summaries). Prepares, under the guidance of the Director of RISC, the Partner Contribution Statement, Milestone Report, Annual Contribution Summaries, Mid-Term Report and Final Partnership Achievement Report for all NORM and NORM-related projects;
- In coordination with the Director of RISC, develops and submits reports to other funders as required, including coordinating ethics reviews.
Executive Administrative Support for RISC Director
- Provides administrative support to enable operations of NORM activities.
University graduate degree with research thesis/dissertation is required; PhD degree would be a strong asset. Education in Project Management or at least one year of project management experience, preferably in an academic environment, is required.
Minimum of 3-years recent experience in grant management, academic program management or top-level research administration role in an institutional (post-secondary, agency, government) setting.
Skills and Experience
- Experience liaising with senior level administrators in academic, government
- Demonstrated sourcing experience, e.g., call for proposals, partnership opportunities, stakeholder engagement
- Demonstrated experience in providing support to major academic committees
- Experience managing staff
- Experience with event organizing is a strong asset
- Financial management skills in preparing financial reports and financial forms
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures, governance structures, as well as research project processes a strong asset
- Fundraising experience is a strong asset
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with conflicting priorities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and communicate with tact and diplomacy
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to think critically and exercise decision making
Please submit a cover letter and updated resume through Charity Village. In addition, please email your cover letter and updated resume to email@example.com and mention “RISC Operations Officer” in the subject line.
May 26, 2023
June 1, 2023
One year contract
$80,000 with extended health benefits
Head of Quantitative Development at RQ Services and Senior Quantitative Analyst at Hubbard Decision Research
"I had a terrific RISC internship with Wawanesa Insurance in 2018, during which I had the opportunity to spearhead the blend of actuarial pricing methods and machine learning techniques. This gave me a huge competitive edge and boosted my career path."
Dr. Yisub Kye
Assistant professor of Mathematics, UCLA
"Thanks to RISC’s very unique hybrid internship, during my PhD studies (2014 - 2019) I had the opportunity to apply forefront mathematical research in real applications in economic capital determination at Sun Life Financial. This is a truly rare asset for someone in my field, and I am certain that it helped me get my current position with the University of California, Los Angeles."
Actuarial Analyst at Intact's DataLab
"The internship with Wawanesa and RISC in 2019 gave me precisely what I needed in order to bridge the gap between the grad school and the RMI industry!"
Platform Manager at Social Venture Connexion
"RISC-Clearsum HAIIvVe internship in 2021 was a great opportunity for me. By pairing practitioners with students in a 16-week project, it gave me an inkling of how the industry assesses the impact of climate transition risk on assets, using the traditional financial model, but with climate-related scenarios."
Model Validation Manager at Scotiabank
"During the RISC-Sun Life Internship in 2021, I got the chance of working with a wonderful team and getting my hands dirty with the complications of real-world business problems and cutting-edge technologies. This experience, and the support I received afterward, was truly a game-changer and helped me land my first full-time permanent job in a reasonably short time."
Data Scientist at Scotiabank
"Although well-equipped with knowledge of financial mathematics and statistics, I would lack two crucial leverages to compete in the job market as a fresh graduate: RISC-Sun Life internship in 2021 helped me bridge the gap by furnishing me with the vital experience of dealing with real-world financial problems and by helping me develop an active professional network."
Commercial Banking Associate, TD Auto Finance
RISC's HAIIvVE internship sparked my interest and passion to ESG practices and sustainable investments for climate risk management, motivating me to search for career avenues in this space. I really appreciate the opportunity, innovation, and impact that this experience brought to me.
Post an Opportunity
RISC has access to an enormous pool of diverse talent at a number of universities in Canada and abroad. Whether you seek a number-cruncher actuary or a charismatic risk management leader, we can help. Simply fill in the form below, and you will hear from us within 24 hours, guaranteed!