Opportunities at RISC
We always look for talent! Whether you are a theory-inclined mind looking for the rapture of discovery or a pragmatic practitioner, there might be something for you at RISC. Hence, stay tuned and check frequently.
Explore and apply for opportunities with RISC and our partners
If you have strong background in mathematics and/or mathematical statistics and are keen on conducting research in quantitative management, then consider applying to this truly unique opportunity: (1) This position is with RISC, Western University, and York University; (2) You will become a part of a a highly dynamic research community, nourished by the Fields Institute in Mathematical Sciences; and (3) You will be in the heart of Canada’s Financial Industry with numerous opportunities to gain practical knowledge/experience by testing your research with one of many RISC industry partners.
December 31, 2022
September 1, 2023
3 - 5 years
We seek strong Ph.D. students that work on the interplay of Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Statistics and Actuarial Science, who preferably have experience with dependence modelling and are close to graduation to join a project on “Risk Financing” co-funded by the Fields Institute for Mathematical Sciences, York University, and RISC. This is an exceptional opportunity for suitable candidates as: (1) you will become a part of a a highly dynamic research community, nourished by the Fields Institute in Mathematical Sciences; (2) you will be collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of researchers; and (3) you will be in the heart of Canada’s Financial Industry with numerous opportunities to gain practical knowledge/experience by testing your research with one of many RISC industry partners.
September 30, 2022
September 1, 2022
Sun Life Financial (SLF) is offering an internship opportunity to join Digital Innovation Team within Risk Management as a Data Analyst / Scientist. The role will require you to work on interfacing with SQL tables and other relational sources for the purposes of advanced analytics (including predictive modelling) and creating custom visuals and dashboards in PowerBI and/ Tableau. The datasets will primarily be supplied by the Underwriting and Claims Groups for the purposes of the immediate items in scope. You must possess strong technical knowledge in SQL, Python, Tableau, PowerBI as well as strong time management and communication skills. The data discovery component of this job will involve components of mining and modelling where a self-starter attitude would be greatly beneficial in absence of strictly defined requirements.
(1) Assist Director in developing requirements for data products by working closely with the Stakeholders on identifying their unmet data needs
(2) Create functioning MVPs using available data cleansed through a variety of modelling techniques depending on each individual case
(3) Work on the Data Management program deployment by helping catalog and categorize data.
(4) Perform Data Quality Assessments and Profiling with potential remediation activities to mitigate issues
(5) Develop Advanced Analytics models prototypes for claims and underwriting
(6) Assist in development deployment of Advanced Analytics tools as required
(7) Act as a Data Enablement expert to help educate and migrate Stakeholders to modern data practices and capabilities
(8) Being flexible to assist with ongoing research/projects in the team
(1) Enrolled in a master’s degree or higher in a quantitative field such as mathematics, statistics, mathematical finance and etc.
(2) Strong knowledge in a quantitative discipline
(3) Knowledge in predictive models like Regression, decision trees, Random Forests, SVMs and Neural Networks, etc.
(4) Ability to prototype models and methodologies on a computer system platform; hands on experience in R, Python
(5) Ability to work under tight deadlines and with multiple priorities
(6) Hands on experience with Data Visualisation tools such as Tableau and PowerBI
(7) Ability to work independently and in cross-functional team settings
(8) Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
(9) Excellent verbal and written skills
(10) Basic understanding of the insurance industry and products, and associated underwriting and claims management
July 31, 2022
September 1, 2021
Sun Life Financial (SLF) is looking for an intermediate or senior quantitative analyst to join our Corporate Risk Office. The position reports to a Director, Model Validation & Analytics. The role will require you to review and validate various models used by SLF. You must be technically strong, a quick learner, and be able to apply your financial (actuarial) knowledge and modeling skills effectively and creatively. Strong time management and communication skills are essential due to tight regulatory and internal business requirements and model production process.
• Conduct technical reviews and validations of models used by SLF
• Communicate the model review results to senior stakeholders and model owners
• Interact with model owners and model developers on discussing and resolving model issues
• Develop alternative or benchmark models as necessary for independent assessment of model risk
• Support corporate risk governance on managing, mitigating and controlling model risk
• Assist with ongoing research on stochastic modeling and risk analytics
• Assist with research on economic capital modeling for insurance products
• Strong knowledge in a quantitative discipline
• A master’s degree or higher in a quantitative field such as mathematics, statistics, mathematical finance and etc.
• Combined financial and insurance risk experience is a definite asset
• Hands on experience in stochastic modeling and statistical analysis.
• Advanced knowledge on programming in Matlab, VBA, or C/C++
• Ability to prototype models and methodologies on a computer system platform
• Ability to work under tight deadlines and with multiple priorities
• Critical thinking
• Ability to explain complex actuarial and financial modeling techniques in a simple and concise way
• Ability to work independently and in cross-functional team settings
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
• Excellent verbal and written skills
July 31, 2022
September 1, 2021
The Enterprise Risk Strategy, Advisory and Technology team supports the delivery of the Risk and Compliance Function target operating model and continuous advancement of practices. The team builds resilience and agility for ensuring the Corporation’s risk practices remain fit for purpose in an environment of prolonged challenge and change and provides centralized support for bringing coordinated focus and attention to strategic work.
Reporting to the Director, Enterprise Risk Strategy and Advisory, the Internal Consultant Intern (Intern) will be assigned to high priority initiatives across the Risk and Compliance Function, contributing recommendations and options based on complex analyses and insights. The Intern will be part of an agile, purpose-driven internal consultancy practice that facilitates rapid development and delivery of global risk framework enhancements that support business strategy, Lifeco and Regional CRO and Risk Head strategies, Lifeco CCO/Compliance Head strategies, and augment existing capabilities, where needed (e.g., support framework development and related documents, tools and templates; develop risk and compliance training content).
Consulting engagement opportunities for the intern role will be prioritized based on business needs. Possible opportunities could involve research, policy and procedure writing, review of models, preparing presentations and may include the following:
• Assist to develop and maintain long-term target maturity models, process and organization optimization, and methodologies to advance risk and compliance practices
• Contribute to and support development of multi-dimensional complex analysis, benchmarking, quantitative and qualitative assessments to assess risk and compliance practices
• Develop and execute assessments that diagnose effectiveness of risk and compliance practices and identify opportunities to leverage automation and digitization to work faster, smarter, and more efficiently
• Develop solutions to strengthen internal capabilities across the Function for training effectiveness and efficiency, project management, change management and communications
• Develop and execute training for the Function (Risk and Compliance Function staff training, 1st line of defence training on risk programs)
• Develop and execute performance measurement programs that enable the Function to monitor, manage and evaluate operational performance
• Working towards a graduate degree (preference for completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a business or quantitatively oriented major e.g. Finance, Economics, Accounting)
• Strong achievements in academic studies
• Demonstrated collaboration and communication skills
• Ability to communicate virtually with diverse groups of people with differing viewpoints, using a consultative approach
• Demonstrates professionalism, discretion, and good judgment in interactions
• Team player who is also comfortable working independently
• Self-motivated, self-managing, organized and able to prioritize work to meet deadlines
• Strong attention to detail
• Aptitude for strategic, analytical, and critical thinking
• Quantitative and analytical skills, including financial and business analysis, and research
• Understanding of the financial services industry, emerging themes, risks, and regulatory expectations
• Awareness of qualitative and quantitative risk management techniques
• Understanding of project management techniques such as process management/lean management to inform a structured, disciplined approach
July 31, 2022
September 1, 2022
We are looking for a number of Computer Science or Information Technology or, more generally, Engineering senior undergraduate students, with formal coursework on databases and data structures as well as with some experience of developing and testing MySQ, MS SQL or Oracle databases.
(1) Downloading and cleaning data on annuity prices for the last two decades. Data to be provided by CANNEX.
(2) Setting up a sever and the database to store data in (1).
(3) Write code to make sure the data is automatically updated on a daily basis.
(4) Write code for typical data-base-requests to allow simple data retrieval for researchers.
(5) Write code for typical data visualization.
(6) Test and weed out bugs.
(1) Course-work based experience in database design, set-up, administration, etc.
(3) Hands on experience along the lines in (1) with My SQL, MS SQL or Oracle.
(3) Knowledge of databases backup procedures, recovery systems, stored procedures, etc.
(4) Proficiency in MS Excel.
(5) Knowledge of programming languages and API.
(6) Ability to visualize algorithmic structures.
(7) Excelent communication and problem solving skills.
(8) Excelent team-work skills.
August 27, 2022
September 5, 2022
Head of Quantitative Development at RQ Services and Senior Quantitative Analyst at Hubbard Decision Research
"I had a terrific RISC internship with Wawanesa Insurance in 2018, during which I had the opportunity to spearhead the blend of actuarial pricing methods and machine learning techniques. This gave me a huge competitive edge and boosted my career path."
Dr. Yisub Kye
Assistant professor of Mathematics, UCLA
"Thanks to RISC’s very unique hybrid internship, during my PhD studies (2014 - 2019) I had the opportunity to apply forefront mathematical research in real applications in economic capital determination at Sun Life Financial. This is a truly rare asset for someone in my field, and I am certain that it helped me get my current position with the University of California, Los Angeles."
Actuarial Analyst at Intact's DataLab
"The internship with Wawanesa and RISC in 2019 gave me precisely what I needed in order to bridge the gap between the grad school and the RMI industry!"
Platform Manager at Social Venture Connexion
"RISC-Clearsum HAIIvVe internship in 2021 was a great opportunity for me. By pairing practitioners with students in a 16-week project, it gave me an inkling of how the industry assesses the impact of climate transition risk on assets, using the traditional financial model, but with climate-related scenarios."
Model Validation Manager at Scotiabank
"During the RISC-Sun Life Internship in 2021, I got the chance of working with a wonderful team and getting my hands dirty with the complications of real-world business problems and cutting-edge technologies. This experience, and the support I received afterward, was truly a game-changer and helped me land my first full-time permanent job in a reasonably short time."
Data Scientist at Scotiabank
"Although well-equipped with knowledge of financial mathematics and statistics, I would lack two crucial leverages to compete in the job market as a fresh graduate: RISC-Sun Life internship in 2021 helped me bridge the gap by furnishing me with the vital experience of dealing with real-world financial problems and by helping me develop an active professional network."
Commercial Banking Associate, TD Auto Finance
RISC's HAIIvVE internship sparked my interest and passion to ESG practices and sustainable investments for climate risk management, motivating me to search for career avenues in this space. I really appreciate the opportunity, innovation, and impact that this experience brought to me.
Post an Opportunity
RISC has access to an enormous pool of diverse talent at a number of universities in Canada and abroad. Whether you seek a number-cruncher actuary or a charismatic risk management leader, we can help. Simply fill in the form below, and you will hear from us within 24 hours, guaranteed!